Monday 12 May 2014

Final design ideas

 
Queens Hospital - Romford
 
The architect found the semi-circular layout offered more advantages than a square, triangular, cruciform or Y-shaped plan. This building was complete in 2007, and is viewed as modern architecture. I decided to use this location for my final outcome. why? Because the outer circular glass panel structured walkway offers me a frame for my structure. I intend to cover the whole section with this structure.

 
I looked at this pavilion in Hong Kong. this is the type of thing I would like to achieve using the sickle cell molecules. I want to look at ways in which I can create some sort of pavilion to reflect the blood vessel of sickle cell anaemia.
 
Looking at the works of Cartson Holler in particular the slide, I would like to create a journey within my structure to create the idea of how the blood flows within the body. instead of the red blood cells flowing firmly and consistently Sickle cells are stiff and sticky. They tend to block blood flow in the blood vessels of the limbs and organs. Blocked blood flow can cause pain and organ damage. It can also raise the risk for infection.
 
within my structure I would like to visually create this. using the main entrance of the building, people must walk through this structure. I looked at way in which I can create a bridge type structure that represents the blood vessel.
 
Figure A shows normal red blood cells flowing freely in a blood vessel. The inset image shows a cross-section of a normal red blood cell with normal hemoglobin. Figure B shows abnormal, sickled red blood cells blocking blood flow in a blood vessel. The inset image shows a cross-section of a sickle cell with abnormal (sickle) hemoglobin forming abnormal strands.
Below is a rough idea of what I intend to construct. sadly I am not able to draw exactly what I would like to construct so I used all of research as a guide. With this type of project my tutor advised me to continuously construct things, this made it easier for me to construct my final outcome as it allowed me to see what worked as opposed to what didn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment