Sunday 4 May 2014

Experiments and Developments

I have been looking at ways in which I can portray sickle cell anaemia through imagery. I have been looking at cells and molecules that relate to sickle cell. looking at as sickle cell haemoglobin I thought that it was everything I was looking for. its colourful and very eye catching. so I decided to break up the molecules and rearrange them to crate a structure. I looked at ways in which I can join these molecules together to still give off the same affect.
 
using the laser cutter I was able to cut out multiple haemoglobin sickle cells. these alone were joint together to create some form of structure.
at this moment in time I'm still stuck with deciding what my final outcome would be. what king of structure and how will I convey sickle cell.
 
I have been taking pictures from different angles and view points to help me think of different ways in which I can form a structure.
I was forced to develop the imagery to make it into my own design because of the limited imagery given that relates to sickle cell anemia. I looked at many different ways that I could develop a sickle cell haemoglobin molecule. I also looked at ways that could develop sickle cell red blood cells. I looked at different ways that I could combine them together. I achieved this by using the laser cutter to cut out different shapes, in different sizes and materials. I looked at ways that I could interlock them together so create a structure and all is recorded on my sketchbook.
 
 

I began to do some rough sketches as to what I would like to design. I got the idea of some sort of tunnel because of the sickle cell blood vessel. Sickle cells are stiff and sticky. They tend to block blood flow in the blood vessels of the limbs and organs. I would like to visually express this through my final design.


I was able to get cheap materials like cardboard and paper to construct little models. However the models didn’t turn out as planned but it was a good experiment to get an idea of what I would like my final outcome to look like. I was able to consider what material I would like to use in the real world. I would like to use tactile material. For the final outcome I was able to buy MDF wood which was a reasonable price. I was able to develop and finalise my most successful design. At this point I knew exactly what I was doing.
 
 
I was given constructive feedback throughout my develop stages in order to make my designs better. I was advised my teacher to play around with multiple shapes and just by simply scanning it in and playing around with it on Photoshop, I could look at ways of manually duplicating them. I was then advised to begin constructing something so I used the laser cutter to cut out several molecules and cells.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment