Sunday 17 November 2013

3D Design - Week 3 - Project 2

So far I have been enjoying 3D design. Now its week 3 and we are given a new project. We were all given everyday objects like tissues, a potty, a cereal container, sponges etc. and we had to play around with them to create a structure of some sort. Crazy right?
 
Project Description:
 
Record
Analysis and observation of objects is an essential part of the 3D design process. The understanding of an objects form and function enables us to design alternatives which can be both innovative and challenging whilst fulfilling a given purpose.
Respond
In this project you will be given an existing object, which through the recording of its form(s) and possibly it’s function(s) gain an understanding of its application(s). Then working firstly in 2D you are to show possible alternative functions for your object.
Remake
Through manipulation, multiplication and the incorporation of other materials and forms you are to make an object/ exterior/ interior that functions in an entirely different way to the original but still uses it as the main or a secondary component whilst keeping its structural integrity. Simple examples could be a saucepan when screwed to a wall enables it to be used as a coat hook or a series of food containers being the basis for modular architecture. Use the workshop effectively during this project, familiarise yourself with the materials and processes available to you.
 
 
 
 
 
As you can see I was given a cereal container. Probably one of the worst items to be given! I didn't know what to do with it, at all. Break it was the first option, but how what my problem.

 
I began to look at its purpose and ways in which I can convert it into a structure. It had a lid that you were able to remove to insert the cereal. On the lid there was a hinged flap with a hole in it which allowed the cereal to come out when pouring it.

 
I took off the lid and began to look at the shape, for ideas. Looking at the shape it could just easily be transformed into a building with a million floors, or a factory of some sort.

 
I noticed how the shape of it was quite unusual. But interesting at the same time. And then all of these ideas began to flow through my head. instead of removing materials or attempting to break it, I could merely do the opposite by adding stuff to it.


 
I drew a quick sketch of the container and decided to develop it in my sketchbook first with thoughts and ideas.


I came up with this whereby I bent plastic over the top of it to look like a glass frame. I then placed the lid diagonally.

 
I made it into a house, I feel that this design was really successful, however impossible to create in the real world! So considering the material I would like to create this house with, I would not be able to construct this. So I began to do research about different types of materials and techniques so I can deign something similar to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment